Traditional Mexican Mole Negro Sauce
Traditional Mole Negro sauce can be overwhelming to make! But with this simple recipe, you will surely want to make it again and again!
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 2 quarts 1x
- Category: Sauces
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Mexican
Ingredients for Mole sauce:
- 8 dried mulato chiles
- 8 dried pasilla chiles
- 4 dried chilhuacle negro chiles
- 1 plum tomato, halved
- ½ medium onion, sliced into 4 pieces
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4–6 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 Tbsp corn or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 ripe plantain, peeled, sliced
- 2 Tbsp almonds
- 2 Tbsp pecans
- 2 Tbsp peanuts
- 1 1″-thick slice stale challah, torn into large pieces
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole allspice
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 Tbsp raw sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dried aromatic herbs (such as marjoram, thyme, or oregano)
- ⅛ tsp aniseed
- ⅛ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 piece (about 4 oz), Mexican hot chocolate tablets, broken into pieces
- 2 corn tortillas (Ripped apart)
Instructions for Mole Negro:
- Using scissors, cut open each of the dried chiles and scrape out the seeds into a bowl. Discard the stems.
- Using a large castiron pan or saute pan, blister the skin of 3-4 chiles at a time on high heat until you have gone through all of the chiles.
- Blister both sides until the chiles become fragrant (about 1 min 30 sec per side).
- Place the cooked chiles into a bowl, and pour 2 cups of boiling water over the top of the chiles once all the chiles are in the bowl. Cover bowl with a paper plate.
- Let the chiles sit in the water for 20 minutes.
- Wipe the pan you just used out with a dry towel.
- Place the spices, nuts, herbs, seeds, And cinnamon sticks into the pan and toast on medium high heat till everything becomes aromatic and very dark.
- Place the toasted ingredients into a bowl to cool.
- Wipe out the pan again and place the vegetables into the pan and brown all sides. The tomatillos and tomatoes may become a little mushy.
- Once the vegetables become browned and have burned a bit, place into a blender and blend with the chicken stock.
- Sit the tomato mixture aside in a bowl.
- Put the Chiles along with the water they’ve been soaking in into the blender and blend.
- Add the toasted ingredients and tortillas, blend till smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture back into the blender and blend with everything else.
- Pour the mole into a large dutch oven through a mesh sieve, filtering out the chunks of toasted ingredients with the sieve.
- Simmer the Mole sauce on low until it has become thick, about 1 hour.
- Add the Chocolate and incorporate it fully.
- Taste for seasoning and serve with your favorite tacos, chicken, fish, or burritos.
This will last up to a week, even longer if you freeze it!
Keywords: Mole,Mole Negro