Southern Style Oyster Stew
Oyster Stew is a southern staple. With it being eaten around Christmas time this is the perfect stew for cold weather! Come and try a bowl or two!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
- Category: Southern
- Method: Stewing
- Cuisine: Southern
Ingredients for Oyster Stew:
- 16oz select oysters
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced (cut super small)
- 1 onion, minced (cut super small)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 quart cream
- 1/2 quart milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 4 Tbsp chopped parsley
Instructions for oyster stew:
- In a large pot, render the chopped bacon on low about 3/4 the way.
- Once rendered, add your chopped onion to the bacon and let sweat until the onion appears translucent.
- Once the onion has been cooked, add the garlic and cayenne, mix them in, and let cook till the garlic becomes aromatic.
- Once aromatic, deglaze with the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, Add the chicken stock and mix.
- Turn the heat on high and let the chicken stock reduce by half.
- Once reduced, add the oysters with the brine into the pot and lower the stove temperature to a medium heat.
- Allow the oysters to cook till they have curled up on the edges.
- Once the oysters have cooked, whisk in the cream and milk and let the oyster stew heat up slowly at a medium-low heat.
- Once the oyster stew is hot, add the parsley.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes and add salt and pepper as you please!
Top with parsley and as much oyster crackers as you please!
Enjoy on a cold winters night!
(But you can enjoy whenever!)
Keywords: Oyster Stew, Stew, Soup