The south has many things that are considered comfort food and we fry just about anything. From those delicious little yellow puffs full of cream (twinkies) to almost any candy bar! One thing, however, that holds true to the south is fried chicken. Fried chicken is originally Scottish, but when it was brought over to the United States it became a southern staple dish. Although everyone adds their own spice blend to cater to their own taste, the general recipe stays the same. Flour, eggs, buttermilk, oil, and chicken. With this combination, amazing things can be made!
So with further ado… here is the recipe.
Ingredients for the Fried Chicken:
- 1 Chicken grilling pack (4 legs and 2 breasts)
- 6 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 1/2 Tbsp ground chipotle chili
- 3 Tbsp kosher salt
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Brine mixture
- 1qt frying oil
Brine for the chicken:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (preferably Braggs)
- 2 cups warm water
- 4Tbsp Kosher salt
- 2Tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2Tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2Tbsp Cloves
- 2Tbsp Black Peppercorns
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin rings
- 4 sprigs of fresh dill
- 5 bay leaves
Instructions for brine:
- Combine all the dry spices except for the bay leaves into a dry saute pan and toast on medium high heat, mixing often until they become fragrant.
- Remove the spices from the heat and combine all of the brine ingredients into a large coverable container.
- Add the chicken to the brine, cover, and let sit in the fridge overnight.
Instructions for frying the chicken:
- Pour your oil into a dutch oven or a pot that has a lid.
- Heat the oil up slowly to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (check the temperature of the oil continuously with a fryer thermometer while frying the chicken).
- In a medium to large bowl, combine the flour with the dry spices for the Fried Chicken.
- Have your eggs, buttermilk, and flour mixture in separate bowls (Like in the picture below).
- Take your brined chicken out of the refrigerator and take each piece of chicken out. Dry the chicken gently pat thoroughly with paper towels.
- Place the chicken into the buttermilk and let the chicken sit for 10-15 min.
- Next, place the chicken into the flour mixture and coat generously till the chicken is dry.
- Then place into the eggs and coat well.
- Place the chicken back into the flour and coat generously again.
- Once the chicken is breaded, gently shake the excess flour off of the chicken, and place the chicken into the fryer carefully. (Note: frying chicken in a home setting has a higher potential of going wrong. Have the proper safety precautions ready such as a fire extinguisher and lid for the pot. NEVER put water on an oil fire!)
- Let the chicken cook for 9 to 13 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Using tongs, flip the fried chicken over halfway through cooking.
- Once the fried chicken has been cooked, place onto a sheet pan with a resting rack or a plate with paper towels and check the chicken’s temperature and make sure the fried chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the chicken has become Fried Chicken, enjoy with a family and friends!
This Fried Chicken is sure to make you smile and is perfect for any occasion! Just be careful and have fun with it!