Roasted Pumpkin Bisque
Fall is coming around and as the leaves change, so do bisques. It’s time for a life-changing bisque for you and your family to share. This Roasted Pumpkin Bisque is full of warmth and happiness that will fill the soul. The spices and the caramelization of the roasted pumpkin are sure to wow your family and whomever you decide to share this recipe with… and who knows? Maybe you’ll make a friend with the crazy old cat lady down the street!
Ingredients for the roasted pumpkin bisque:
- 1 whole pumpkin (pulp cleaned out, save the seeds)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 quarts heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp chicken base (combine with 2 cups of water)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
Instructions for the roasted pumpkin bisque:
- Cut the pumpkin into 8 wedges and lay on two half baking sheet pans, skin down.
- Drizzle the oil on the pumpkin and rub them down. Sprinkle the salt, sugar, and 3 Tbsp of cinnamon on top of the pumpkin wedges.
- Roast the pumpkin in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 2hr 30 min.
- Once the pumpkin has become fork tender, sit out and let cool for 15 min.
- While the pumpkin is cooling, heat up a large stock pot with some olive oil and let it start lightly smoking.
- Add the onion and the garlic to the stock pot and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add 2 Tbsp of cinnamon and the rest of the spices and cook until they are aromatic.
- Add the flour and make a roux. Let the roux cook for a few seconds, then add half a quart of cream.
- Stir vigorously with a whisk, then add the rest of that quart of cream and set the temperature down to the lowest setting.
- While the cream mixture is simmering, peel the skin off of the pumpkin wedges. The skin should come off easily, but use a paring knife for the more stubborn pieces.
- In a blender, place about 2 cups of cream and the skinned pumpkin. Blend on medium-high till there are no chunks of pumpkin.
- Pour the puree into the pot. Repeat these steps till the second quart of cream and the pumpkin are pureed.
- Pour the 2 cups of chicken stock into the bisque and stir to incorporate.
- Simmer on medium-low for about 15 min or till the soup is super hot, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing burns on the bottom.
- Top with some roasted pumpkin seeds, serve, and enjoy this delicious roasted pumpkin bisque!
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Saved pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Wash the pumpkin seeds and clean off the extra pulp.
- Dry the seeds and place them into a baking dish.
- Add the salt, cinnamon, and oil. Mix till all of the seeds are covered.
- Place into a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 min till the seeds have become crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Serve on top of the roasted pumpkin bisque or eat as a delicious snack!
And follow my newsletter to get updated on new posts every Tuesday!