Gingerbread Men are very welcome in the Christmas tradition. From their gumdrop buttons to the royal frosting that gives them their features, they’re a welcome sight for any Christmas lover. This recipe is perfect for having the kids involved because it is so simple to make! I did something a little bit different with the gingerbread men this year and made chocolate ones. Perfect for the chocolate lover and Christmas lover alike!
- 1 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), softened
- 1 egg
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together with the whisk attachment.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix till well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl combine your flour, cocoa powder, spices, and baking soda, mixing well with a whisk.
- Add the dry mixture to your wet mixture in your mixing bowl and combine, using the dough hook or kneading with your hands.
- Knead the dough till everything is incorporated and the dough is moist but not wet.
- Form dough into a large ball and place in a lightly floured bowl. Place in refrigerator and cool for about 2 hours.
- Next, take the dough out and place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thickness. Make sure to keep both the surface and the rolling pin lightly floured.
- Using a cutout or a cookie cutter, cut as many gingerbread men as you can out of the dough. (obviously, you can make more than just gingerbread men. Use any cookie cutter shape you like!)
- Keep re-rolling the dough out till you have as many cookies as you can get out of it. This should be at least 24 cookies, depending on how big your cookie cutter is.
- Place each of the gingerbread men onto a greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart from each other (depending on how many baking sheets you have, you may have to repeat these steps multiple times to bake all of the cookies).
- Bake the gingerbread men at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for ten minutes, then place them on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, enjoy the gingerbread men as is or decorate with icing and sprinkles!
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
Mix both ingredients together with the whisk attachment on a stand mixer (or use an electric hand mixer) till the sugar is completely incorporated and the icing is thick but moves like molasses! If too thick, add an egg white, if too runny, add some powdered sugar.