This is a cajun risotto recipe I’ve made at the steakhouse I work at and over the past couple of days, I’ve modified it to be a delicious summertime recipe. I hope Y’all enjoy!
- 3 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 pound of shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground mustard
- 1 tbsp. smoked Paprika
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 to 3 tbsp. of Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp. rosemary chopped fine
- 2 andouille sausages
- 3 cups of shredded Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. Parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put your oil in a medium-sized pot and place over high heat. Wait for the oil to start to smoke a little bit. Add your shrimp to the pan and par-cook them. Set the shrimp aside in another bowl to be added back into the Risotto later.
- Add a touch more oil to your pot, then add your onions and let them caramelize on medium-high heat.
- Add the rest of your vegetables except for the garlic to the pot and sautée on medium-high heat until the carrots are Al dente (soft yet firm).
- Add the garlic and wait till the garlic is aromatic (Make sure you don’t burn the garlic)
- Turn heat on medium-low. Add your spices and mix into the vegetables. Once seasoning is incorporated into the mixture, put the veggies into the separate bowl with the shrimp.
- Turn your stove to a medium temperature and deglaze your pot with the white wine. Add your rice and mix it in until it is evenly distributed.
- Then, pour your chicken stock into the rice until about an inch of chicken stock is visible above the rice. Stir constantly to avoid the rice burning and keep adding the remaining chicken stock gradually until the rice becomes fluffy and Al dente.
- As the rice is close to being done, cook the sausages in a separate pan, then slice thin.
- Once your rice is Al dente, add your Cajun seasoning, Old Bay, and rosemary incorporate into Risotto.
- Add your veggies, shrimp, and andouille sausage to the risotto.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and parsley.